Searching for benwell : 9 results found | RSS Feed for this search

Opening of Benwell Billiard Saloon Opening of Benwell Billiard Saloon

Description

Subjects

1920s | 1920s | wallpaper | wallpaper | woman | woman | blur | blur | men | men | industry | industry | hat | hat | sign | sign | wall | wall | shirt | shirt | standing | standing | scarf | scarf | ball | ball | hair | hair | wrapping | wrapping | paper | paper | carpet | carpet | shoe | shoe | concentration | concentration | interesting | interesting | wire | wire | wiring | wiring | shine | shine | lordmayor | lordmayor | floor | floor | unitedkingdom | unitedkingdom | mark | mark | interior | interior | board | board | letters | letters | caps | caps | grain | grain | decoration | decoration | stripe | stripe | picture | picture | hats | hats | tie | tie | suit | suit | jacket | jacket | cap | cap | button | button | gathering | gathering | archives | archives | string | string | billiards | billiards | opening | opening | unusual | unusual | sheriff | sheriff | pocket | pocket | tyneside | tyneside | crease | crease | attentive | attentive | distracted | distracted | newcastleupontyne | newcastleupontyne | fascinating | fascinating | 1877 | 1877 | digitalimage | digitalimage | blyth | blyth | palying | palying | socialhistory | socialhistory | billiardtable | billiardtable | northeastengland | northeastengland | benwell | benwell | 192425 | 192425 | sepiaphotograph | sepiaphotograph | pacel | pacel | cityofnewcastleupontyne | cityofnewcastleupontyne | servingthecity | servingthecity | 193637 | 193637 | billiardsaloon | billiardsaloon | johngrantham | johngrantham | benwellbilliardsaloon | benwellbilliardsaloon | cinemaproprietor | cinemaproprietor | willsstobaccoscigarscigarettessoldhere | willsstobaccoscigarscigarettessoldhere | 28november1924 | 28november1924

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Opening of Benwell Billiard Saloon

Description

View of John Grantham, Sheriff of Newcastle at the opening of Benwell Billiard Saloon, 28 November 1924 (TWAM ref. DF.GRA/1/1). These images belong to a series of albums documenting John Grantham?s service to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne as its Sheriff 1924-1925 and its Lord Mayor 1936-1937. John Grantham was born in Blyth in 1877 and became a cinema proprietor in Newcastle. He was elected to the City Council in 1912 and became an alderman in 1932. The albums give us an interesting insight into the duties of Lord Mayor and Sheriff as well as a fascinating picture of the times. 2016 is the 800th anniversary of the creation of Newcastle's Mayoralty and Burgesses. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

johngrantham | sheriff | newcastleupontyne | 1920s | caps | northeastengland | tyneside | benwell | billiardsaloon | billiards | hats | sepiaphotograph | digitalimage | socialhistory | interior | wall | industry | servingthecity | ball | billiardtable | sign | wire | letters | gathering | picture | wallpaper | wiring | decoration | archives | mark | grain | blur | scarf | jacket | hat | tie | shirt | hair | standing | palying | attentive | distracted | interesting | unusual | fascinating | board | floor | carpet | shoe | shine | willsstobaccoscigarscigarettessoldhere | button | pocket | crease | cap | stripe | concentration | men | woman | pacel | paper | wrapping | string | suit | unitedkingdom | opening | benwellbilliardsaloon | 28november1924 | cityofnewcastleupontyne | lordmayor | 192425 | 193637 | blyth | 1877 | cinemaproprietor

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

School play

Description

Children performing in a school play at the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1982 (TWAM ref. E.NC18/24). Possibly a Nativity performance (is that a donkey I can see in the background?). Tyne & Wear Archives is proud to present a series of images relating to the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne. The set has been produced to celebrate UK Disability History Month 2014. The Royal Victoria School for the Blind (then known as the Royal Victoria Asylum) was established from a fund to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 and was originally located at the Spital before moving to premises in Northumberland Street. In the 1890s the name was changed to the Royal Victoria School, and in 1895 the school moved to the former house of Dr Hodgkinson in Benwell Dene. Pupils came from throughout the North of England. As a result of legislation to integrate special groups within the mainstream education system the school closed in 1985. (Copyright) Reproduced with kind permission of the Royal Victoria Trust for the Blind. We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

children | education | royalvictoriaschoolfortheblind | newcastleupontyne | schoolplay | disability | ukdisabilityhistorymonth | blindness | visualimpairment | blackandwhitephotograph | play | performance | 1982 | wheelchair | costume | nativity | donkey | rabbit | dots | backgroundscene | road | trees | hats | shoes | socks | trousers | shirt | top | decoration | wheel | lever | handle | vehicle | numberplate | lights | glasses | happy | comradeship | royalvictoriaasylum | coronation | queenvictoria | 1837 | spital | premises | northumberlandstreet | drhodgkinson | benwelldene | pupils | northofengland | specialgroups | cloth | material | floor | cape | curtain | wall | shoelaces | socialheritage | unusual | 2014

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Bedtime story

Description

Enjoying a bedtime story at the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1982 (TWAM ref. E.NC18/24). Tyne & Wear Archives is proud to present a series of images relating to the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne. The set has been produced to celebrate UK Disability History Month 2014. The Royal Victoria School for the Blind (then known as the Royal Victoria Asylum) was established from a fund to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 and was originally located at the Spital before moving to premises in Northumberland Street. In the 1890s the name was changed to the Royal Victoria School, and in 1895 the school moved to the former house of Dr Hodgkinson in Benwell Dene. Pupils came from throughout the North of England. As a result of legislation to integrate special groups within the mainstream education system the school closed in 1985. (Copyright) Reproduced with kind permission of the Royal Victoria Trust for the Blind. We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

children | education | royalvictoriaschoolfortheblind | newcastleupontyne | bedtimestory | disability | ukdisabilityhistorymonth | blindness | visualimpairment | socialheritage | blackandwhitephotograph | 1982 | ukdisabilityhistorymonth2014 | royalvictoriaasylum | coronation | queenvictoria | 1837 | northumberlandstreet | spital | formerhouse | drhodgkinson | benwelldene | northofengland | pupils | aschoolfortheblind | wardrobe | wall | clothing | teddybear | fur | hair | laughter | teeth | smile | blouse | dress | frill | storytelling | companionship | adult | carer | teacher | bed | cover | cloth | leg | face | portrait | head | eye | nose | mouth | lip | unusual | ear | pyjamas | button | crease | illustrations | hand | finger | nail | slippers | nightgown | woman

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Brownies working together

Description

Members of the Royal Victoria School for the Blind Brownie pack, January 1962 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/28235D). Tyne & Wear Archives is proud to present a series of images relating to the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne. The set has been produced to celebrate UK Disability History Month 2014. The Royal Victoria School for the Blind (then known as the Royal Victoria Asylum) was established from a fund to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 and was originally located at the Spital before moving to premises in Northumberland Street. In the 1890s the name was changed to the Royal Victoria School, and in 1895 the school moved to the former house of Dr Hodgkinson in Benwell Dene. Pupils came from throughout the North of England. As a result of legislation to integrate special groups within the mainstream education system the school closed in 1985. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

children | education | royalvictoriaschoolfortheblind | newcastleupontyne | brownies | girlguiding | crafts | disability | ukdisabilityhistorymonth | blindness | visualimpairment | blackandwhitephotograph | socialheritage | browniepack | january1962 | 2014 | royalvictoriaasylum | coronation | queenvictoria | 1837 | spital | northumberlandstreet | premises | drhodgkinson | benwelldene | northofengland | specialgroups | shirt | costume | dummy | face | dress | belt | badge | tie | pin | hair | wool | touch | senses | figure | pillow | cloth | material | table | carpet | pattern | floor | wall | chair | fireplace | ledge | shelf | timber | frame | glass | lightshade | stand | glasses | smile | attentive | striking | unusual | fastener | zip | hand | girls | female | light | shadow | photoframe | books | window | curtain | watch

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Members of the Brownie pack

Description

This appears to show a presentation to a member of the Brownie pack at the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, January 1962 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/28235C). Tyne & Wear Archives is proud to present a series of images relating to the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne. The set has been produced to celebrate UK Disability History Month 2014. The Royal Victoria School for the Blind (then known as the Royal Victoria Asylum) was established from a fund to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 and was originally located at the Spital before moving to premises in Northumberland Street. In the 1890s the name was changed to the Royal Victoria School, and in 1895 the school moved to the former house of Dr Hodgkinson in Benwell Dene. Pupils came from throughout the North of England. As a result of legislation to integrate special groups within the mainstream education system the school closed in 1985. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

children | education | royalvictoriaschoolfortheblind | newcastleupontyne | brownies | girlguiding | disability | ukdisabilityhistorymonth | blindness | visualimpairment | socialheritage | blackandwhitephotograph | browniepack | members | january1962 | blind | royalvictoriaasylum | coronation | queenvictoria | 1837 | spital | northumberlandstreet | royalvictoriaschool | drhodgkinson | students | benwelldene | pupils | northofengland | specialgroups | educationsystem | aschoolfortheblind | floor | carpet | pattern | rug | foldingtable | wood | fireplace | wall | shadow | paint | shelf | door | glass | organ | decoration | presentation | gathering | woman | hat | dress | uniform | shoes | arm | leg | hand | feet | head | face | eye | nose | mouth | lip | ear | socks | shine | cloth | cylinder | attentive | distracted | striking | unusual | poignant | hair | object

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Brownies taking part in craft activities

Description

Members of the Royal Victoria School for the Blind Brownie pack, January 1962 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/28235A). Tyne & Wear Archives is proud to present a series of images relating to the Royal Victoria School for the Blind, Newcastle upon Tyne. The set has been produced to celebrate UK Disability History Month 2014. The Royal Victoria School for the Blind (then known as the Royal Victoria Asylum) was established from a fund to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 and was originally located at the Spital before moving to premises in Northumberland Street. In the 1890s the name was changed to the Royal Victoria School, and in 1895 the school moved to the former house of Dr Hodgkinson in Benwell Dene. Pupils came from throughout the North of England. As a result of legislation to integrate special groups within the mainstream education system the school closed in 1985. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

children | education | royalvictoriaschoolfortheblind | newcastleupontyne | brownies | girlguiding | crafts | disability | ukdisabilityhistorymonth | blindness | visualimpairment | blackandwhitephotograph | activities | browniepack | january1962 | 2014 | royalvictoriaasylum | coronation | queenvictoria | 1837 | northofengland | pupils | school | formerhouse | drhodgkinson | benwelldene | integrate | specialgroups | mainstreameducationsystem | 1985 | legislation | socialheritage | abstract | unusual | girl | girls | table | britishflag | crease | hair | uniform | tie | dress | belt | uniforms | eyeglasses | eye | touch | feel | plate | shine | scratch | paint | leg | carpet | pattern | floor | wall | shadow | light | mantelpiece | tile | glass | door | frame | structure | doors | concentrating | absorbed | companion | companionship | identification | read | senses | sensation | awareness

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Jimmy Forsyth

Description

Jimmy Forsyth, photographer, 1913-2009. Jimmy Forsyth was born in Barry, South Wales on 15 August 1913, the son of John and Bertha Forsyth. On leaving school at 14 he became an apprentice fitter in a cement works repair shop, but later joined the merchant navy. He returned to Wales in 1938 to work for ICI at Hirwaun. He moved to Newcastle as a munitions volunteer in 1943 and found a room in Elswick, just off the Scotswood Road, working for ICI at Prudhoe. Just four days after starting work a metal splinter blinded him in one eye, but he continued to work at ICI in other capacities until 1946, when he was sacked. Following this he took various odd jobs, including running a general store for a while. Some time in the 1950s he acquired a camera and began recording the area he lived in. He continued to take photographs until only a short while before his death. In the late 1970s his black and white negatives were acquired for preservation by Benwell Library, and in 1979 the first exhibition of Jimmy's work was held at the Side Gallery in Newcastle. The publication of Scotswood Road by Bloodaxe Books in 1986, accompanied by another exhibition at the Side, and followed by a Tyne Tees Television documentary No Fancy Shades brought his work to a wider audience. He was awarded the Halina Award for photography in 1987 and an Open University Master's degree in 2002. Reference: TWAS: DF.JF.4651(Jimmy Forsyth 2) (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk. To purchase a hi-res copy please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk quoting the title and reference number.

Subjects

jimmyforsyth | forsyth | museum | twam | tyneandweararchivesandmuseums | tyne | northeast | photographer | newcastle | jimmyforsthye | forsythe | photography | newcastleeastend | scotswood | walker | byker | newcastleupontyne | blackwhitephotos | celebrateneengland | socialhistory | archives | northeastofengland | unitedkingdom | interesting | fascinating | wrinkle | portrait | barry | southwales | 19132009 | 15august1913 | johnforsyth | berthaforsyth | apprenticefitter | merchantnavy | ici | hirwaun | elswick | munitionsvolunteer | scotswoodroad | prudhoe | generalstore | camera | localrecords | benwelllibrary | late1970s | preservation | exhibition | sidegallery | 1979 | bloodaxebooks | publication | 1986 | tyneteestelevisiondocumentary | nofancyshades | halinaawardforphotography | 1987 | openuniversitymastersdegree | 2002 | digitalimage | stripes | shirt | button | moustache | happy | hair | industry | industrial | abstract | personality | eyes | expression | whiteoutline | curtain | blackandwhitephotograph

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Charlotte Pit, Benwell around 1935

Description

Lower Condercum House can be seen in the background with Condercum Road the first street to the right of the colliery. The pit employed over 400 people in 1934 but closed in 1939. Reference number: TWAS: DS.CAR.17.3 (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk. To purchase a hi-res copy please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk quoting the title and reference number.

Subjects

aerial | colliery | charlotte | pit | benwell | 1935 | twam | museums | aerialviews | aerialphotographs | tyneandwear | turner | sepia | industrial | industry | abstract | social | charlottepit | lowercondercumhouse | condercumroad | closure | 1939 | land | buildings | roof | wall | window | door | pile | soil | slope | vegetation | fence | boundary | row | pattern | housing | chimney | smoke | cylinder | road | person | beam | metal | steel | grain | striking | cottage | stone | terrace | newcastleupontyne | shadow | light | daylight | lawn | tree | branch | northeastengland | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | archives | documentation | aerialphotograph | unitedkingdom | landscape | sky | blur | debris | street | 400workers | 1934 | 1930s | quarry | mining | fascinating

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata