Searching for twam : 395 results found | RSS Feed for this search

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines

Description

Subjects

shadow | shadow | abstract | abstract | industry | industry | metal | metal | wall | wall | shirt | shirt | hair | hair | kneel | kneel | landscape | landscape | shoe | shoe | daylight | daylight | workers | workers | construction | construction | support | support | industrial | industrial | pattern | pattern | ship | ship | shine | shine | darkness | darkness | hole | hole | timber | timber | steel | steel | parts | parts | pipe | pipe | working | working | platform | platform | engine | engine | structures | structures | progress | progress | plate | plate | vessel | vessel | social | social | row | row | tools | tools | hose | hose | pole | pole | beam | beam | climbing | climbing | maritime | maritime | bolt | bolt | cylinder | cylinder | overalls | overalls | ladder | ladder | unusual | unusual | curve | curve | shipyard | shipyard | airvent | airvent | development | development | attentive | attentive | lid | lid | lever | lever | fascinating | fascinating | digitalimage | digitalimage | sunderland | sunderland | bending | bending | manufacture | manufacture | shipbuilding | shipbuilding | southwick | southwick | blackandwhitephotograph | blackandwhitephotograph | marineengineering | marineengineering | bedplate | bedplate | americastar | americastar | may1963 | may1963 | 6cylinderengine | 6cylinderengine | 8cylinderengine | 8cylinderengine | refrigeratedcargovessel | refrigeratedcargovessel | bartramsonsltd | bartramsonsltd | williamdoxfordsonsltd | williamdoxfordsonsltd | georgeclarkltd | georgeclarkltd | southwickengineworks | southwickengineworks | workersofsunderland | workersofsunderland | clarksulzer | clarksulzer | ‘mauricedelmas’ | ‘mauricedelmas’ | twamref1361323 | twamref1361323 | mauricedelmas | mauricedelmas

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

’s School for the Blind with a selection of war souvenirs

Description

Subjects

wood | boy | blur | feet | wool | glass | smile | birds | metal | shirt | scarf | mouth | hair | children | handle | nose | glasses | see | eyes | hands | shoes | floor | arms | legs | blind | body | head | timber | reptile | steel | coat | touch | fingers | innocent | rifle | helmet | hats | tie | objects | ears | vessel | case | lips | collection | signage | button | worldwarone | trousers | unusual | ww1 | director | striking | 1914 | firstworldwar | attentive | distracted | 1913 | spear | sensors | handson | artefacts | shoelaces | poignant | blackandwhitephotograph | uth | comradeship | socialheritage | warsouvenirs | worlife1914 | twamvenues | sunderland’sschoolfortheblind | sunderlandmuseumandartgallery | jacharltondeas | pioneeringwork | spearcase

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

South Shields Museum and Art Gallery during the First World War

Description

Subjects

life | road | blackandwhite | sun | moon | tree | writing | bag | landscape | belt | uniform | shine | boots | artgallery | buttons | smoke | coat | text | debris | hill | pipe | illustrations | drawings | humour | luggage | moustache | spirits | sniper | strap | worldwarone | trousers | laughter | bullet | unusual | ww1 | pocket | bomb | popular | figures | wreckage | slope | rubble | publiclibrary | uplifting | depictions | 191718 | warfront | brucebairnsfather | socialheritage | southshieldsmuseum | worlife1914 | twamvenues | liftspirits

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Recruits in the Great Hall, Discovery Museum

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Interior of the Shipley Art Gallery

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Swan Hunters staff institute as seen from the bottom of Swans Bank, around 1914

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

The entrance hall of the Laing Art Gallery, about 1916

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Ward C1, 1st Northern General Hospital during the First World War was housed in what is now the Hatton Gallery

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Letter from Joseph J Gill printed in the Museums Journal, 1915

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Proposed plan for the extension. Discovery Museum

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

’s Park, around 1905

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Elswick Works cricket team

Description

Elswick Works Cricket XI, 1891 (TWAM ref. 1027/377). ?Workshop of the World? is a phrase often used to describe Britain?s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It?s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email info@twarchives.org.uk.

Subjects

elswickworks | newcastleupontyne | cricket | sport | sportsteam | blackandwhitephotograph | socialhistory | 1891 | manufacturing | nineteenthcentury | scotswoodworks | vickersarmstrong | factories | newcastle | rivertyne | products | customers | global | williamgeorgearmstrong | lordarmstrong | hydrauliccranes | shipbuilding | armaments | locomotives | vickersarmstrongcollection | elswick | scotswood | twamref1027377 | elswickworkscricketxi | workshopoftheworld | vegetation | tree | branch | fascinating | leaves | grass | nature | uniform | stripes | cap | moustache | emblem | shirt | trousers | coat | button | crease | grain | comradeship | attentive | standing | seated | tie | smile | shoe | jumper | hair | finger | hand | arm | leg | head | face | abstract | alert | industry | sky | daylight | mark | leisure | club | sportinglife

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Officers' smoking room on the tanker 'Aluco'

Description

Officers' smoking room on the tanker ?Aluco?, October 1959 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/695/11/19). She was launched at the North Sands shipyard of J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland on 23 April 1959. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company?s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

sunderland | shipbuilding | jlthompsonsonsltd | northsandssunderland | aluco | tanker | smokingroom | furniture | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | maritimeheritage | industry | officer | october1959 | northsandsshipyard | jlthompsonsons | 23april1959 | josephlthompsonsons | 1846 | robertthompsonsons | robertthompsonsenior | josephlowesthompson | vessel | ship | northsands | sofa | chair | floor | table | uniform | leisure | flowers | vase | cabinet | door | glass | queen | portrait | wall | ceiling | light | window | ledge | curtain | pattern | paper | button | relaxed | interaction | social | reflection | reading | book | shadow | box | pot | leg | timber | fabric | arm | hand | body | head | face | striking | unusual | design | twamrefdsjlt4ph16951119

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Children from Sunderland?s School for the Blind with a selection of war souvenirs

Description

When the First World War began Sunderland Museum and Art Gallery had been established for 68 years. The Director in 1914 was the formidable J. A. Charlton Deas who is remembered principally for his pioneering work, started in 1913, with the blind, giving them hands on access to the collection so that they could see with their fingers. Deas was also a pioneer in touring exhibitions and in contemporary recording. In November 1914 he was requested to also take on the role of Supervising Librarian at West Hartlepool, after the librarian there had joined up. One month later West Hartlepool was bombarded by the German Imperial Navy. Although he tried collecting objects from the bombardment ?there was great demand for them? and he could not secure any but he was successful in acquiring nearly 100 photographs showing the aftermath, which he used in an exhibition shown in both West Hartlepool and Sunderland. In July 1919 Deas was responsible for organising Sunderland?s impressive Peace Parade. It included elaborate floats representing the countries of our allies as well as contingents of the armed forces and civilian organisations that took part. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | blackandwhitephotograph | children | sunderland?sschoolfortheblind | warsouvenirs | firstworldwar | sunderlandmuseumandartgallery | director | 1914 | jacharltondeas | pioneeringwork | 1913 | blind | collection | fingers | touch | see | sensors | handson | hands | socialheritage | unusual | striking | poignant | objects | artefacts | case | glass | birds | reptile | helmet | hats | coat | button | ww1 | timber | wood | floor | shirt | shoes | trousers | shoelaces | attentive | spear | spearcase | vessel | handle | metal | steel | blur | glasses | scarf | wool | rifle | tie | distracted | comradeship | signage | smile | eyes | nose | ears | uth | lips | mouth | innocent | hair | head | arms | legs | body | feet | boy

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

South Shields Museum and Art Gallery during the First World War

Description

At the time of the First World War South Shields Museum and Art Gallery was used primarily as a Public Library with a museum and art gallery upstairs. There were a lot of changes at the Library during the war. The demand for books relating to the War and the various countries affected by the War was very high and a special bookcase was created to hold such items. The use of the newsroom, where the daily newspapers were kept, increased and the reference department had a supply of ?war maps? which showed activity in France and Belgium. All four of the male assistant staff members joined the army and were replaced by three female assistants; however the Chief Librarian got an exemption from the army. All but one of the male staff members returned from the war. Mr R.M.Daniel, who had worked at the library for 14 years and was called up on the first day of the war, was declared missing and then presumed dead in March 1918. There was an exhibition of drawings by Bruce Bairnsfather in 1917-18 which was very popular, the drawings were humorous depictions of life at the front. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | drawings | ww1 | southshieldsmuseum | artgallery | humour | uplifting | spirits | publiclibrary | brucebairnsfather | 191718 | depictions | life | warfront | laughter | liftspirits | socialheritage | unusual | blackandwhite | writing | text | illustrations | tree | figures | slope | hill | bullet | bomb | sun | landscape | debris | pipe | smoke | uniform | belt | bag | luggage | boots | trousers | coat | buttons | pocket | moustache | moon | sniper | road | popular | shine | strap | wreckage | rubble

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Recruits in the Great Hall, Discovery Museum

Description

During the War the Discovery Museum was the North Eastern Headquarters of the Co-operative Wholesale Society and was called Blandford House. The Co-op reserved the jobs of members of staff who joined the army during the war and continued to pay them full wages. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | soldiers | recruits | flags | flag | tricolour | japan | france | discoverymuseum | greathall | newcastleupontyne | unionflag | unionjack | socialhistory | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | fascinating | grain | mark | interesting | unusual | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | wartime | ww1 | northeasternheadquarters | cooperativewholesalesociety | men | uniform | blandfordhouse | army | military | staff | table | chair | tablecloth | vase | flowers | seated | attentive | hands | arms | crease | button | rope | interior | wall | ceiling | beam | structure | frame | window | daylight | shine | sign | gathering | blandfordstreetdininghall | kitchenersrecruits | britain | cloth | blur | floor | leg | shadow | firstworldwar | industry | hat | hair | head | hall

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Interior of the Shipley Art Gallery

Description

The Shipley Art Gallery was bequeathed to the people of Gateshead following the death of Joseph Shipley, a local solicitor, in 1909. The architect?s plans for the Gallery were submitted to Gateshead for approval in October 1914. With hindsight, it is hard for us to imagine that towns were planning major projects like this during the First World War. However in autumn 1914, the British people were convinced it would be ?all over by Christmas?. Despite this belief coming to nothing, Gateshead continued to build the Gallery, even travelling down to the House of Lords to appeal against a ban on providing new materials except to the War Effort. The building opened in 1917 and is a testament to local pride and craftsmanship. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | shipleyartgallery | gateshead | artgallery | paintings | sculpture | interior | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | archives | artanddesign | whiteoutline | text | label | interiorshipleyartgallery8930 | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | ww1 | bequeathed | socialhistory | josephshipley | solicitor | 1909 | design | architecturalplans | october1914 | planningprojects | britishpeople | construction | building | gallery | houseoflords | appeal | newmaterials | wareffort | 1917 | opening | localpride | craftsmanship | testament | frame | wall | room | floor | display | artcollection | painting | props | bird | figure | form | landscape | animal | doorway | column | space | fascinating | interesting | unusual | gatesheadengland | unitedkingdom | industry | industrialheritage | abstract | decoration | furnishings | layout | creativity | presentation | tynewear

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Swan Hunters staff institute as seen from the bottom of Swans Bank, around 1914

Description

The site of Segedunum Roman Fort was completely covered with buildings and streets during the First World War however academics did know of the existence of the fort and emergency archaeology had been carried out. The building that is now used as offices for museum staff was erected in 1914 as a staff institute for Swan Hunters workers. It contained a dining room, kitchen, stores, gymnasium, library, billiard table and a rest room and when a roll of honour was produced in October 1915 to honour the men from Swan Hunters who had given their lives in the War it was placed in the staff institute. The site of the current shop and caf was occupied by a shooting range. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | swanhuntersstaffinstitute | swansbank | 1914 | segedunumromanfort | site | buildings | street | fort | emergencyarchaeology | progression | offices | museumstaff | workers | soldiers | ww1 | shootingrange | industry | abstract | social | brownishtone | sepiaphotograph | grain | wash | pipes | timber | fence | cart | wheel | man | hat | clothes | shoes | pavement | bar | rail | slope | garden | grass | brick | roof | window | glass | door | chimney | house | lights | men | standing | cargo | debris | structure | support | vegetation | sky | unusual | industrial | stone | steel | metal | pulling | attentive

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

The entrance hall of the Laing Art Gallery, about 1916

Description

During the difficult times of the First World War, art shows continued at the Laing Art Gallery and provided a welcome respite for many people. As the war went on, the Government toured several exhibitions around the country to inform and involve people in the war effort. In March 1917, the Gallery showed an exhibition of Canadian Official War Photographs. Soldiers and sailors were admitted at half price, hospital patients got in free, and all profits went to the Canadian War Memorials Fund. This was followed by an exhibition of drawings by Muirhead Bone, sketched on the battlefields of the Western Front. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | laingartgallery | 1916 | shieldfield | newcastleupontyne | interior | entrancehall | sculpture | painting | stand | furniture | glass | display | door | floor | shadow | fascinating | majestic | unusual | artshow | blackandwhitephotograph | socialhistory | march1917 | canadianofficialwarphotographs | digitalimage | england | unitedkingdom | canadianwarmemorialsfund | drawingsbymuirheadbone | battlefieldsketches | westernfront | frame | wall | ceiling | light | exhibitions | tribalobjects | hospitalpatients | soldiers | sailors | respite | wartime | welcomeddistraction | refuge | grand | classical | chain | picture | hook | industry

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Ward C1, 1st Northern General Hospital during the First World War was housed in what is now the Hatton Gallery

Description

During the First World War the building that now houses the Hatton Gallery was requisitioned to house the 1st Northern General Hospital. This was normal practice throughout the war years, as army hospitals were needed across the country and on a large scale. The Fine Art building in which you are now standing was then part of Armstrong College, Durham University. The hospital was staffed by students and staff with an association to the university, which of course included a Medical School. In 1914 the hospital had 420 beds but by 1917 this number had risen to 2,166. Over the course of the war the hospital took in at least 41,896 servicemen. (Copyright) by permission of Robinson Library, Newcastle University. We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums and Robinson Library, Newcastle University' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | hospital | northerngeneral | firstworldwar | hattongallery | 1stnortherngeneralhospital | armyhospitals | fineartbuilding | armstrongcollege | durhamuniversity | medicalschool | 1914 | 1917 | servicemen | chair | bed | linen | wood | floorboards | shine | boots | trousers | jacket | moustache | hair | head | arms | legs | body | hands | fingers | pillow | recuperating | uniform | nurse | patient | plants | pot | table | cane | walkingstick | tablecloth | wallpaper | wall | pattern | cloth | furniture | ceiling | floor | decoration | lights | window | glass | pillar | shadow | shirt | socks | timber | material | structure | frame | interior | socialheritage | industry | nursing | medical | care | transition | england | assembly

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Letter from Joseph J Gill printed in the Museums Journal, 1915

Description

During the First World War this building was known as the Hancock Museum. The displays looked very different then but would still have contained many of the fascinating natural science objects that they do today. The curator of the museum in 1914 was Edwin Leonard Gill. In 1915 his father, Jospeh J Gill, wrote a letter to the Museums Journal. ?Several of these sets of questions were prepared for me by my son, E. Leonard Gill, the Curator of this Museum, whose place I am temporarily filling whilst he is ?on service in France?. Two at least of the papers were composed amidst the roar of big guns a little behind the firing line? Yours truly, Joseph J Gill, Temporary Curator, Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | blackandwhite | letter | paper | josephjgill | print | museumsjournal | 1915 | firstworldwar | ww1 | hancockmuseum | naturalscienceobjects | 1914 | curator | edwinleonardgill | setsofquestions | preparation | serviceinfrance | composition | roarofguns | text | words | letters | space | punctuation | grammer | language | english | children | youngpeople | visit | questioncards | objects | exhibition | display | questions | birdsandeggs | fishes | zoology | cases | answers | experiment | record | newcastleupontyne | socialheritage | notice | account | intriguing | story | archive | changes

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Proposed plan for the extension. Discovery Museum

Description

The Co-op had plans to extend its building in 1912 and create a furniture warehouse. It was proposed that a mirror image of the existing building be built thus doubling the size of the structure. The planning permission was granted in 1915, but due to the decline in demand for goods following the outbreak of war, it was never built. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | buildingplan | colour | extension | buildingextension | discoverymuseum | 1912 | coop | furniturewarehouse | mirrorimage | existing | building | interesting | structure | frame | size | planningpermission | 1915 | ww1 | outbreak | war | neverbuilt | precisiondrawing | scale | layout | information | text | number | description | stamp | ink | identification | walls | glass | windows | doorway | pole | heritagebuilding | pillar | platform | striking | abstract | industrial | paper | letter | words

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

A view of the Roman Remains and People?s Park, around 1905

Description

Much of the site of Arbeia that we see today would have been covered with streets and houses during the First World War. However a small section in the middle of the fort site, containing the most extensive ruins, was open to the public as a park for recreation and to study the Roman Remains. The park was created in 1880 after excavations were carried out prior to building works and public interest in the Roman ruins was very high. It was then decided to keep 0.45 hectares of the site uncovered and the Roman Remains and People?s Park was born. Across the Southern portion of the site was Baring Street School, part of which still stands today and is part of the museum complex and in the North West corner of the site stood the lodge or the park keeper?s house. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | romanruins | peoplespark | remains | landscape | view | oldestpark | alexdrysdale | southshields | site | arbeia | streets | houses | firstworldwar | fortsite | recreation | study | 1880 | publicaccess | studies | excavations | colourphotograph | buildingworks | baringstreetschool | museumcomplex | northwestcorner | lodge | parkkeepershouse | socialheritage | abstract | unusual | intriguing | industry | structure | construction | building | sky | cloud | chimney | brick | wall | roof | stone | window | glass | curtain | vegetation | bench | chair | seat | platform | grass | shrub | flowers | female | dress | hat | path | heritage | history | historical | remnants | hectares | uncovered | 1905

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Central Station area, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1963

Description

Aerial view of Neville Street and the area in front of Central Station, Newcastle upon Tyne, August 1963 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/31929B). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk. To purchase a hi-res copy please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk quoting the title and reference number.

Subjects

newcastleupontyne | aerialviews | aerialphotographs | centralstation | stmarysromancatholiccathedral | claytonstreet | graingerstreet | nevillestreet | buses | trainstation | blackandwhitephotograph | 1963 | august1963 | aerialview | abstract | industry | buildings | infrastructure | roof | wall | window | glass | frame | construction | structure | stone | brick | timber | vehicle | pavement | road | people | curve | row | housing | church | vegetation | grass | ground | shadow | light | post | business | railways | rail | twamrefdttur231929b | roadwork | interesting

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Children's Waltzer ride at the Hoppings, 1990

Description

The Hoppings is a popular fair in the North East of England, held in the last full week of June every year on Newcastle's Town Moor, spanning around 40 acres of land. The Photograph is taken by Jimmy Forsyth Ref: DF.JF/3/g/D5153/1/1 Jimmy Forsyth, photographer 1913-2009 Jimmy Forsyth was born in Barry, South Wales on 15 August 1913, the son of John and Bertha Forsyth. On leaving school at 14 he became an apprentice fitter in a cement works repair shop, but later joined the merchant navy. He returned to Wales in 1938 to work for ICI at Hirwaun. He moved to Newcastle as a munitions volunteer in 1943 and found a room in Elswick, just off the Scotswood Road, working for ICI at Prudhoe. Just four days after starting work a metal splinter blinded him in one eye, but he continued to work at ICI in other capacities until 1946, when he was sacked. Following this he took various odd jobs, including running a general store for a while. Some time in the 1950s he acquired a camera and began recording the area he lived in. He continued to take photographs until only a short while before his death. In the late 1970s his black and white negatives were acquired for preservation by Benwell Library, and in 1979 the first exhibition of Jimmy's work was held at the Side Gallery in Newcastle. The publication of Scotswood Road by Bloodaxe Books in 1986, accompanied by another exhibition at the Side, and followed by a Tyne Tees Television documentary No Fancy Shades brought his work to a wider audience. He was awarded the Halina Award for photography in 1987 and an Open University Master's degree in 2002. Jimmy Forsyth died in 2009 (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk. To purchase a hi-res copy please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk quoting the title and reference number.

Subjects

archives | northeast | fairground | twam | carnival | newcastleupontyne | documentaryphotography | jimmyforsyth | northeastofengland | majorevent | summer | oldphotographs | temperancefestival | travellingfair | attractions | seasonal | community | waltzer | hoppings | showman | traditional | 1990 | june | entertainment | feast | rides | amusements | colourphotograph | childrenswaltzerride | fair | north | east | england | newcastlestownmoor | record | showbusiness | shirt | trousers | man | cigarette | cleanshaven | distracted | umbrella | pattern | star | seat | rail | pole | number | identification | letters | lights | globe | glass | platform | structure | steel | metal | grass | trees | leaves | branches | wood | vegetation | machine | shoes | hair | skin | eyes | nose | ears | jumper | wheel | vehicle | window

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata