Searching for twamvenues : 20 results found | RSS Feed for this search

1

Children from Sunderland?s School for the Blind with a selection of war souvenirs

Description

When the First World War began Sunderland Museum and Art Gallery had been established for 68 years. The Director in 1914 was the formidable J. A. Charlton Deas who is remembered principally for his pioneering work, started in 1913, with the blind, giving them hands on access to the collection so that they could see with their fingers. Deas was also a pioneer in touring exhibitions and in contemporary recording. In November 1914 he was requested to also take on the role of Supervising Librarian at West Hartlepool, after the librarian there had joined up. One month later West Hartlepool was bombarded by the German Imperial Navy. Although he tried collecting objects from the bombardment ?there was great demand for them? and he could not secure any but he was successful in acquiring nearly 100 photographs showing the aftermath, which he used in an exhibition shown in both West Hartlepool and Sunderland. In July 1919 Deas was responsible for organising Sunderland?s impressive Peace Parade. It included elaborate floats representing the countries of our allies as well as contingents of the armed forces and civilian organisations that took part. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | blackandwhitephotograph | children | sunderland?sschoolfortheblind | warsouvenirs | firstworldwar | sunderlandmuseumandartgallery | director | 1914 | jacharltondeas | pioneeringwork | 1913 | blind | collection | fingers | touch | see | sensors | handson | hands | socialheritage | unusual | striking | poignant | objects | artefacts | case | glass | birds | reptile | helmet | hats | coat | button | ww1 | timber | wood | floor | shirt | shoes | trousers | shoelaces | attentive | spear | spearcase | vessel | handle | metal | steel | blur | glasses | scarf | wool | rifle | tie | distracted | comradeship | signage | smile | eyes | nose | ears | uth | lips | mouth | innocent | hair | head | arms | legs | body | feet | boy

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

South Shields Museum and Art Gallery during the First World War

Description

At the time of the First World War South Shields Museum and Art Gallery was used primarily as a Public Library with a museum and art gallery upstairs. There were a lot of changes at the Library during the war. The demand for books relating to the War and the various countries affected by the War was very high and a special bookcase was created to hold such items. The use of the newsroom, where the daily newspapers were kept, increased and the reference department had a supply of ?war maps? which showed activity in France and Belgium. All four of the male assistant staff members joined the army and were replaced by three female assistants; however the Chief Librarian got an exemption from the army. All but one of the male staff members returned from the war. Mr R.M.Daniel, who had worked at the library for 14 years and was called up on the first day of the war, was declared missing and then presumed dead in March 1918. There was an exhibition of drawings by Bruce Bairnsfather in 1917-18 which was very popular, the drawings were humorous depictions of life at the front. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | drawings | ww1 | southshieldsmuseum | artgallery | humour | uplifting | spirits | publiclibrary | brucebairnsfather | 191718 | depictions | life | warfront | laughter | liftspirits | socialheritage | unusual | blackandwhite | writing | text | illustrations | tree | figures | slope | hill | bullet | bomb | sun | landscape | debris | pipe | smoke | uniform | belt | bag | luggage | boots | trousers | coat | buttons | pocket | moustache | moon | sniper | road | popular | shine | strap | wreckage | rubble

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Recruits in the Great Hall, Discovery Museum

Description

During the War the Discovery Museum was the North Eastern Headquarters of the Co-operative Wholesale Society and was called Blandford House. The Co-op reserved the jobs of members of staff who joined the army during the war and continued to pay them full wages. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | soldiers | recruits | flags | flag | tricolour | japan | france | discoverymuseum | greathall | newcastleupontyne | unionflag | unionjack | socialhistory | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | fascinating | grain | mark | interesting | unusual | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | wartime | ww1 | northeasternheadquarters | cooperativewholesalesociety | men | uniform | blandfordhouse | army | military | staff | table | chair | tablecloth | vase | flowers | seated | attentive | hands | arms | crease | button | rope | interior | wall | ceiling | beam | structure | frame | window | daylight | shine | sign | gathering | blandfordstreetdininghall | kitchenersrecruits | britain | cloth | blur | floor | leg | shadow | firstworldwar | industry | hat | hair | head | hall

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Interior of the Shipley Art Gallery

Description

The Shipley Art Gallery was bequeathed to the people of Gateshead following the death of Joseph Shipley, a local solicitor, in 1909. The architect?s plans for the Gallery were submitted to Gateshead for approval in October 1914. With hindsight, it is hard for us to imagine that towns were planning major projects like this during the First World War. However in autumn 1914, the British people were convinced it would be ?all over by Christmas?. Despite this belief coming to nothing, Gateshead continued to build the Gallery, even travelling down to the House of Lords to appeal against a ban on providing new materials except to the War Effort. The building opened in 1917 and is a testament to local pride and craftsmanship. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | shipleyartgallery | gateshead | artgallery | paintings | sculpture | interior | blackandwhitephotograph | digitalimage | archives | artanddesign | whiteoutline | text | label | interiorshipleyartgallery8930 | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | ww1 | bequeathed | socialhistory | josephshipley | solicitor | 1909 | design | architecturalplans | october1914 | planningprojects | britishpeople | construction | building | gallery | houseoflords | appeal | newmaterials | wareffort | 1917 | opening | localpride | craftsmanship | testament | frame | wall | room | floor | display | artcollection | painting | props | bird | figure | form | landscape | animal | doorway | column | space | fascinating | interesting | unusual | gatesheadengland | unitedkingdom | industry | industrialheritage | abstract | decoration | furnishings | layout | creativity | presentation | tynewear

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Swan Hunters staff institute as seen from the bottom of Swans Bank, around 1914

Description

The site of Segedunum Roman Fort was completely covered with buildings and streets during the First World War however academics did know of the existence of the fort and emergency archaeology had been carried out. The building that is now used as offices for museum staff was erected in 1914 as a staff institute for Swan Hunters workers. It contained a dining room, kitchen, stores, gymnasium, library, billiard table and a rest room and when a roll of honour was produced in October 1915 to honour the men from Swan Hunters who had given their lives in the War it was placed in the staff institute. The site of the current shop and café was occupied by a shooting range. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | swanhuntersstaffinstitute | swansbank | 1914 | segedunumromanfort | site | buildings | street | fort | emergencyarchaeology | progression | offices | museumstaff | workers | soldiers | ww1 | shootingrange | industry | abstract | social | brownishtone | sepiaphotograph | grain | wash | pipes | timber | fence | cart | wheel | man | hat | clothes | shoes | pavement | bar | rail | slope | garden | grass | brick | roof | window | glass | door | chimney | house | lights | men | standing | cargo | debris | structure | support | vegetation | sky | unusual | industrial | stone | steel | metal | pulling | attentive

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

The entrance hall of the Laing Art Gallery, about 1916

Description

During the difficult times of the First World War, art shows continued at the Laing Art Gallery and provided a welcome respite for many people. As the war went on, the Government toured several exhibitions around the country to inform and involve people in the war effort. In March 1917, the Gallery showed an exhibition of Canadian Official War Photographs. Soldiers and sailors were admitted at half price, hospital patients got in free, and all profits went to the Canadian War Memorials Fund. This was followed by an exhibition of drawings by Muirhead Bone, sketched on the battlefields of the Western Front. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | tyneweararchivesmuseumsduringworldwarone | laingartgallery | 1916 | shieldfield | newcastleupontyne | interior | entrancehall | sculpture | painting | stand | furniture | glass | display | door | floor | shadow | fascinating | majestic | unusual | artshow | blackandwhitephotograph | socialhistory | march1917 | canadianofficialwarphotographs | digitalimage | england | unitedkingdom | canadianwarmemorialsfund | drawingsbymuirheadbone | battlefieldsketches | westernfront | frame | wall | ceiling | light | exhibitions | tribalobjects | hospitalpatients | soldiers | sailors | respite | wartime | welcomeddistraction | refuge | grand | classical | chain | picture | hook | industry

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Ward C1, 1st Northern General Hospital during the First World War was housed in what is now the Hatton Gallery

Description

During the First World War the building that now houses the Hatton Gallery was requisitioned to house the 1st Northern General Hospital. This was normal practice throughout the war years, as army hospitals were needed across the country and on a large scale. The Fine Art building in which you are now standing was then part of Armstrong College, Durham University. The hospital was staffed by students and staff with an association to the university, which of course included a Medical School. In 1914 the hospital had 420 beds but by 1917 this number had risen to 2,166. Over the course of the war the hospital took in at least 41,896 servicemen. (Copyright) by permission of Robinson Library, Newcastle University. We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums and Robinson Library, Newcastle University' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | hospital | northerngeneral | firstworldwar | hattongallery | 1stnortherngeneralhospital | armyhospitals | fineartbuilding | armstrongcollege | durhamuniversity | medicalschool | 1914 | 1917 | servicemen | chair | bed | linen | wood | floorboards | shine | boots | trousers | jacket | moustache | hair | head | arms | legs | body | hands | fingers | pillow | recuperating | uniform | nurse | patient | plants | pot | table | cane | walkingstick | tablecloth | wallpaper | wall | pattern | cloth | furniture | ceiling | floor | decoration | lights | window | glass | pillar | shadow | shirt | socks | timber | material | structure | frame | interior | socialheritage | industry | nursing | medical | care | transition | england | assembly

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Letter from Joseph J Gill printed in the Museums Journal, 1915

Description

During the First World War this building was known as the Hancock Museum. The displays looked very different then but would still have contained many of the fascinating natural science objects that they do today. The curator of the museum in 1914 was Edwin Leonard Gill. In 1915 his father, Jospeh J Gill, wrote a letter to the Museums Journal. ?Several of these sets of questions were prepared for me by my son, E. Leonard Gill, the Curator of this Museum, whose place I am temporarily filling whilst he is ?on service in France?. Two at least of the papers were composed amidst the roar of big guns a little behind the firing line? Yours truly, Joseph J Gill, Temporary Curator, Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | blackandwhite | letter | paper | josephjgill | print | museumsjournal | 1915 | firstworldwar | ww1 | hancockmuseum | naturalscienceobjects | 1914 | curator | edwinleonardgill | setsofquestions | preparation | serviceinfrance | composition | roarofguns | text | words | letters | space | punctuation | grammer | language | english | children | youngpeople | visit | questioncards | objects | exhibition | display | questions | birdsandeggs | fishes | zoology | cases | answers | experiment | record | newcastleupontyne | socialheritage | notice | account | intriguing | story | archive | changes

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Proposed plan for the extension. Discovery Museum

Description

The Co-op had plans to extend its building in 1912 and create a furniture warehouse. It was proposed that a mirror image of the existing building be built thus doubling the size of the structure. The planning permission was granted in 1915, but due to the decline in demand for goods following the outbreak of war, it was never built. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | buildingplan | colour | extension | buildingextension | discoverymuseum | 1912 | coop | furniturewarehouse | mirrorimage | existing | building | interesting | structure | frame | size | planningpermission | 1915 | ww1 | outbreak | war | neverbuilt | precisiondrawing | scale | layout | information | text | number | description | stamp | ink | identification | walls | glass | windows | doorway | pole | heritagebuilding | pillar | platform | striking | abstract | industrial | paper | letter | words

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

A view of the Roman Remains and People?s Park, around 1905

Description

Much of the site of Arbeia that we see today would have been covered with streets and houses during the First World War. However a small section in the middle of the fort site, containing the most extensive ruins, was open to the public as a park for recreation and to study the Roman Remains. The park was created in 1880 after excavations were carried out prior to building works and public interest in the Roman ruins was very high. It was then decided to keep 0.45 hectares of the site uncovered and the Roman Remains and People?s Park was born. Across the Southern portion of the site was Baring Street School, part of which still stands today and is part of the museum complex and in the North West corner of the site stood the lodge or the park keeper?s house. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email claire.ross@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues | romanruins | peoplespark | remains | landscape | view | oldestpark | alexdrysdale | southshields | site | arbeia | streets | houses | firstworldwar | fortsite | recreation | study | 1880 | publicaccess | studies | excavations | colourphotograph | buildingworks | baringstreetschool | museumcomplex | northwestcorner | lodge | parkkeepershouse | socialheritage | abstract | unusual | intriguing | industry | structure | construction | building | sky | cloud | chimney | brick | wall | roof | stone | window | glass | curtain | vegetation | bench | chair | seat | platform | grass | shrub | flowers | female | dress | hat | path | heritage | history | historical | remnants | hectares | uncovered | 1905

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

’s School for the Blind with a selection of war souvenirs

Description

Subjects

wood | boy | blur | feet | wool | glass | smile | birds | metal | shirt | scarf | mouth | hair | children | handle | nose | glasses | see | eyes | hands | shoes | floor | arms | legs | blind | body | head | timber | reptile | steel | coat | touch | fingers | innocent | rifle | helmet | hats | tie | objects | ears | vessel | case | lips | collection | signage | button | worldwarone | trousers | unusual | ww1 | director | striking | 1914 | firstworldwar | attentive | distracted | 1913 | spear | sensors | handson | artefacts | shoelaces | poignant | blackandwhitephotograph | uth | comradeship | socialheritage | warsouvenirs | worlife1914 | twamvenues | sunderland’sschoolfortheblind | sunderlandmuseumandartgallery | jacharltondeas | pioneeringwork | spearcase

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

South Shields Museum and Art Gallery during the First World War

Description

Subjects

life | road | blackandwhite | sun | moon | tree | writing | bag | landscape | belt | uniform | shine | boots | artgallery | buttons | smoke | coat | text | debris | hill | pipe | illustrations | drawings | humour | luggage | moustache | spirits | sniper | strap | worldwarone | trousers | laughter | bullet | unusual | ww1 | pocket | bomb | popular | figures | wreckage | slope | rubble | publiclibrary | uplifting | depictions | 191718 | warfront | brucebairnsfather | socialheritage | southshieldsmuseum | worlife1914 | twamvenues | liftspirits

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Recruits in the Great Hall, Discovery Museum

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Interior of the Shipley Art Gallery

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Swan Hunters staff institute as seen from the bottom of Swans Bank, around 1914

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

The entrance hall of the Laing Art Gallery, about 1916

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Ward C1, 1st Northern General Hospital during the First World War was housed in what is now the Hatton Gallery

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Letter from Joseph J Gill printed in the Museums Journal, 1915

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Proposed plan for the extension. Discovery Museum

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

’s Park, around 1905

Description

Subjects

worldwarone | worlife1914 | twamvenues

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29295370@N07&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata