Searching for uboat : 39 results found | RSS Feed for this search

1 2

U-Boat 110, the Torpedo Room showing an overhead arrangement

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's forward Torpedo Room. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/9 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels | maritimeheritage | naval | blackandwhitephotograph | uboat110 | torpedoroom | overheadarrangement | germansubmarine | sunk | risen | 1918 | forwardtorpedoroom | swanhuntershipbuilderscollection | service | bloh | swanhunterwighamrichardsonltd | wallsend | blohmvoss | tube | pipe | hamburg | 19thjuly1918 | attacked | hmmotorlaunchno263 | depthcharges | rammed | hmsgarry | torpedoboatdestroyer | sinking | salvaged | admiraltydock | jarrowslake | berthed | drydocksdepartment | swanhunters | restoration | armistice | 11november1918 | 19december1918 | northumberlanddock | howden | scrap | franksons | southshields | mechanical | mechanics | impressive | industry | industrial | parts | cylinder | wire | wheel | handle | blur | detail | grain | mark | bolt | nut | metal | steel | plate | lid | number | identification | thesinkingandraisingofuboat110 | surreal | fastener | label

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Survivors of the Lusitania disaster in Cobh, Co. Cork Survivors of the Lusitania disaster in Cobh, Co. Cork

Description

Subjects

ahpoole | ahpoole | arthurhenripoole | arthurhenripoole | poolecollection | poolecollection | glassnegative | glassnegative | nationallibraryofireland | nationallibraryofireland | lusitania | lusitania | sunk | sunk | uboat | uboat | oldhead | oldhead | kinsale | kinsale | 1915 | 1915 | cobh | cobh | countycork | countycork | queenstown | queenstown | rmslusitania | rmslusitania | disaster | disaster | survivors | survivors | riley | riley | sinking | sinking | torpedoed | torpedoed | children | children | twins | twins | headscarf | headscarf | trompelœil | trompelœil | pub | pub | rescue | rescue | edwardriley | edwardriley | annieriley | annieriley | subjectidentified | subjectidentified | missethelriley | missethelriley | mastersutclifferiley | mastersutclifferiley | explore | explore

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=47290943@N03&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Liberty Loan procession in Central Park (LOC) Liberty Loan procession in Central Park (LOC)

Description

Subjects

newyorkcity | newyorkcity | liberty | liberty | boat | boat | tank | tank | manhattan | manhattan | wwi | wwi | submarine | submarine | worldwari | worldwari | worldwarone | worldwarone | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | ww1 | ww1 | greatwar | greatwar | firstworldwar | firstworldwar | warship | warship | britannia | britannia | warbonds | warbonds | warprize | warprize | markiv | markiv | thegreatwar | thegreatwar | scuttled | scuttled | thefirstworldwar | thefirstworldwar | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | uc5 | uc5 | markivtank | markivtank | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | armoredwarfare | armoredwarfare | bonddrive | bonddrive | armouredwarfare | armouredwarfare | markivfemale | markivfemale | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

(LOC) (LOC)

Description

Subjects

boat | boat | centralpark | centralpark | submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | warship | warship | warbonds | warbonds | warprize | warprize | scuttled | scuttled | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | bonddrive | bonddrive | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Jackies on U-Boat (LOC) Jackies on U-Boat (LOC)

Description

Subjects

boat | boat | centralpark | centralpark | sailors | sailors | submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | crackerjack | crackerjack | usnavy | usnavy | usn | usn | warship | warship | crackerjacks | crackerjacks | unitedstatesnavy | unitedstatesnavy | warprize | warprize | scuttled | scuttled | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

German U-Boat (LOC) German U-Boat (LOC)

Description

Subjects

truck | truck | boat | boat | centralpark | centralpark | submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | warship | warship | warprize | warprize | macktruck | macktruck | scuttled | scuttled | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

German U-Boat in N.Y. (LOC) German U-Boat in N.Y. (LOC)

Description

Subjects

boat | boat | centralpark | centralpark | submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | warship | warship | warprize | warprize | scuttled | scuttled | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

German U-Boat in N.Y. (LOC) German U-Boat in N.Y. (LOC)

Description

Subjects

boat | boat | centralpark | centralpark | submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | warship | warship | warprize | warprize | scuttled | scuttled | germannavy | germannavy | unterseeboot | unterseeboot | imperialgermannavy | imperialgermannavy | kaiserlichemarine | kaiserlichemarine | smuc5 | smuc5 | typeuc1 | typeuc1 | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1minelayersubmarine | typeuc1submarine | typeuc1submarine

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

Inside of German Submarine (LOC) Inside of German Submarine (LOC)

Description

Subjects

submarine | submarine | uboat | uboat | libraryofcongress | libraryofcongress | shipyard | shipyard | unterseeboot | unterseeboot

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8623220@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

SS 'Malvina' on the River Thames

Description

Reproduction ID: H1052 Maker: Thacker Date: circa 1884 Thacker Collection

Subjects

nationalmaritimemuseum | ship | steamer | ssmalvina | malvina | jgthomson | sunkbyuboat | sunk | torpedoed | worldwari | thegreatwar | greatwar | firstworldwar | worldwarone | wwi | ww1 | torpedoedbyub104 | ub104 | ub107entangledinwreckageofmalvina | ub107 | londonedinburghshipping | riverthames | thamesriver

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Royal Museums Greenwich | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Electric Control Room looking aft to port

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Electric Control Room and switch gear. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/59 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, a general view looking forward

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows a general view of the Submarine looking forward. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/86 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, a general view looking aft

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the a general view of the Submarine. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/84 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Four bow Torpedo Tubes & forward hydroplanes

Description

This photographs shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Four bow torpedo tubes & forward hydroplanes. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/83 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, four bow Torpedo Tubes & hydroplane on port side.

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Four bow Torpedo Tubes & hydroplane on the port side. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/82 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, After Torpedo Room

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's After Torpedo Room showing the Torpedo Tube door and the Hand wheels to the air system. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/76 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Electric Control Room looking aft

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Electric Control Room, looking in to the Motor Room and Stern Torpedo Room. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/66 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Electric Control Room looking forward

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Electric Control Room, including its propelling motors and main switchboards. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/63 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Electric Control Room

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Electric Control Room, including its switch gear. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/58 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Diesel Engine Room.

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarines Diesel Engine Room. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/52 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, side corner of Engine Room

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's Engine Room,. looking forward on the starboard side. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/51 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, No. 6 compartment

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's compartment No. 6, including its sleeping berths and access to the Engine Room. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/44 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, No. 5 compartment

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Submarine's compartment No. 5 at the starboard side. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/43 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Control Room looking forward

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Control Room, showing the Submarine's Gyro compass, steering control shaft, engine telegraphs and voice pipes. Reference: DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/31 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata

U-Boat 110, Control Room looking forward to port side

Description

This photograph shows the U-Boat 110, a German Submarine that was sunk and risen in 1918. This photograph shows the Control Room looking forward to port side, showing the Submarine's valve wheels to high pressure air system and the reducing valves for air temperature. DS.SWH/5/3/2/14/1/30 This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend. The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk. In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter's dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit. The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap. The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. More images of the U-Boat 110 can be viewed here. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email archives@twmuseums.org.uk

Subjects

submarine | uboat | german | firstworldwar | steampunk | wheels

License

No known copyright restrictions

Site sourced from

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums | FlickR

Attribution

Click to get HTML | Click to get attribution | Click to get URL

All metadata

See all metadata